Yachting in the Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic is a heavenly place in the tropics of the Caribbean Sea, the country occupies the eastern half of the island of Haiti. Due to the natural beauty of its beaches, forests, islands and underwater world, this place has become very popular among yachting enthusiasts from all over the world.
Yacht charter in the Dominican Republic is very popular among residents of North America and Europe precisely because that winter comes in the northern hemisphere from November to March, and here it is warm and sunny.
People flee from the cold and frost to the sunny beaches of the Caribbean Sea, and here at this time it is quiet, sunny and calm, the weather is most conducive to boat trips (in summer it is the rainy season), so yacht charter in the Dominican Republic is popular in winter.
If you want to enjoy your vacation among a deserted sandy beach of some uninhabited tropical island, or visit a small fishing village and feel the local flavor, you have no alternative to a yacht, only by such transport you will reach the remotest beautiful corners of this tropical country.
The Dominican Republic has a well-developed infrastructure for yacht charter – you can choose from five ports, including and in the capital city of Santo Domingo. There are already two terminals from which yachts and catamarans depart: Sans Souci and Don Diego, both located close to the main attractions of the capital and closest to La Isabela airport. There are also ports in the southeastern part of the island, in the north and on the Samana Peninsula.
Using a yacht charter service in the Dominican Republic?
So, you are planning a sea cruise in the Dominican Republic. Here are a few places that are worth your attention:
- Santo Domingo. When you arrive in the Dominican Republic, most likely you will arrive at LaIsabela Airport, which is located in the city of Santa Domingo. Do not rush to immediately go to the port, because in the capital itself there is something to see. Here you will find interesting examples of colonial architecture, and the Columbus lighthouse is definitely worth a visit.
- Puerto Plata (“Silver Port”) gets its name from the silvery light that floods the shore every time the sun goes down. There are many beautiful deserted beaches that are definitely worth a visit, because Puerto Plata is popular among yachting enthusiasts.
- Catalina Island is famous for diving and has everything you need for it. If you rent a yacht in the Dominican Republic, you can get here and see it all with your own eyes.
- Punta Cana and La Romana. These are well-known fashionable resorts of the Dominican Republic with excellent infrastructure. If you get bored with beaches and the sea, feel free to go to local restaurants, clubs and casinos.
- Samana Peninsula. This place is definitely worth a visit for those who love marine life. You can snorkel, snorkel and watch whales and dolphins in their natural environment.
- San Andreas Bay. Various regattas and yachting festivals are often held here.
Of course, this is not a complete list of the places that you can see in this amazing country. So, for example, if you are fond of diving, we recommend that you visit the caves of Padre Nuestro, which are located under water. And here is just a real paradise for fishermen. But if you just want to relax alone with yourself among the tropical jungle and a deserted beach – that’s not a problem either, there are places like that.
Choose a yacht in the Dominican Republic
How to choose a yacht for rent?
So, if you are determined to go on a sea tour of the Dominican Republic, and we hope you are), you need to choose a suitable vessel for this. There are two types of boats that can be rented here: a yacht and a catamaran. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages, and in order to make the right decision, you must weigh the pros and cons.
- Renting a yacht will cost you less than a catamaran of the same length. Moreover, the difference is quite significant – at least 2 times;
- maneuverability – compared to a catamaran, the yacht is much more manageable, you can sail very dynamically, accelerate and turn sharply, like on a sports car, a catamaran cannot;
- less mooring space means the yacht is narrower, so it will be easier to moor in the marina and the parking itself will cost you less.
- more space for the same length. The catamaran has more space in every way. It is more spacious, all cabins are on the same level, and are isolated from each other;
- stability and safety – the catamaran is very stable and has very good buoyancy, it hardly rolls and sways less in the waves. It is almost impossible to turn it over, even during a storm;
- light draft means you can swim close to shore without running aground.
Cons of renting a yacht in the Dominican Republic
- less space – a yacht is much cramped than a catamaran of the same length, so passengers will feel less comfortable;
- Sway is possible – the yacht sways noticeably more than a catamaran, especially in strong winds and waves;
- heavy draft – the yacht has a noticeably large draft, making it harder to swim to the shore and shallow water.
- high cost – a catamaran will cost you much more anyway, sometimes more than double. By itself, a catamaran is more expensive than a yacht, so all costs for it will be much higher;
- difficult mooring – the catamaran is wider and less maneuverable, so mooring will be more difficult and even more expensive;
- handling – the catamaran paid for safety and durability with handling; here you should not count on dynamic swimming; you will not get such sensations as on a yacht.
Both yachts and catamarans have armies of their fans. What is more important for you – drive, or comfort, convenience, or cost, space, or cross-country ability, it’s up to you.
Our experts will help you choose the best option for you to rent a yacht in the Dominican Republic in terms of time, cost, class of vessel, etc. Contact us and we will help you rent a yacht.